Saturday 9 November 2013

Hello November

Oh dear, yet again it's been a while since I posted, but here are a few things I worked on in October.  Firstly my Fresh quilt, from Camille Roskelley's book Simply Retro.  It's made from five different Bonnie and Camille fabric collections, I love how their fabrics all work together so well.  

This is my Sugar Dish top completed for a friends gorgeous little girl.  A design my Cluck Cluck Sew, I made this top using Posy by Aneela Hoey, and I discovered that I love dresdens!!  They are so cute!  Now to decide on backing fabric and how to quilt this......
Last month I was also lucky enough to win a giveaway from Leeanne at Quilt Me.  Isn't the quilty wrapping paper and card adorable!  A full set of Lynette Andersons H&F Wagtime patterns and a lovely Cottage Garden Thread.... thank you so much Leeanne, these musical cats and dogs are adorable....



There has been some building happening in the vege garden, my hubby has built some new garden beds and planter boxes, it is a work in progress but I have some planted and things are growing quickly now.  This is the before shot, the old glasshouse will eventually be replaced with a poly tunnel when the big trees in the back have been cut down.  My little mini greenhouse was well pinned down with stakes, as a few days before this it blew over the fence and right across the paddock!



I've been waterblasting the outside wooden fence in preparation for painting.  There are two more boxes to be built yet beside the first two.....and decisions to be made about what material to use for pathways..... any suggestions....? 

                            

I had to keep a big secret recently, and it was not easy!  My big brother planned a surprise trip out to visit from the UK, to spend some time with Dad who's been having a very rough year healthwise.  I had to tell a few fibs about plans and sneak off to the airport to collect him a couple of weeks ago.  The look on Dad's face was worth it though!  So we have been having a lovely time together, I miss my brothers lots as one lives in Perth, Australia and this one in London, I wish they were both closer to home..... 

During the last week or two I've been working away on my SSCS gift, it will be time to mail it off in a couple of weeks so I need to get a wriggle on...... I'm off now to finish waterblasting my fence....... fun times.....hope you have a lovely weekend planned.....

25 comments:

Christine said...

Your Fresh quilt looks wonderful. I love how you used pink/red fabrics for the stars.

Beth said...

You are string your gardening year whilst I am in the clean up mode of ending mine. While yours looks to be a lit of work, it also is fun to start new projects. I hope you enjoy your brother's company.

Christine M said...

Your quilts are beautiful Nicky. My favourite is the first one. Your vegie garden is great. Lovely win too. How lovely for you Dad (and you) to have your brother visiting. Have a great weekend Nicky. Hugs, Christine xx

Jeanette said...

Gorgeous quilts. Love the first one. I have that book too. :). Your garden is looking good. Lovely surprise for your Dad. Hugs, xx.

Anthea said...

Wow lots going on for you Nicky - I hope you are keeping up with the hand moisturiser at night!
Your quilts are so pretty, love the Bonnie & Camille fabrics, well done x

Schulz Family said...

No wonder you haven't blogged, far out you have been busy. I love the quilts and am looking forward to more photos on the progression of the vege garden

Nancy J said...

Lovely quilts Nicky, I so like the second one. What a great garden, a fence to keep lambs/chooks/ anything else out? Walkways? I would use pavers. Flatten the soil hard, with boots, a roller, or lawnmower up and down lots of times, blade set on high!! then weed mat, then crusher dust, then the pavers, so easy to hose off, kind on the feet, and almost totally weed free!!! I did a small path that way, edged with huge stones one side, holding pavers on their side to make a strong edge, and older blocks on the other. Waiting to see vege goodies galore. Greetings from Jean.

Raewyn said...

Both quilts are lovely and fresh Nicky, well done on getting them together. Congratulations on the pattern win...Leeanne's version turned out beautifully. Looks like you will have lots of space for your veges...not much to say on walkways in the garden - I've tried sawdust in the path and it quickly became indiscernible from the rest. How cool that your brother came out... the best sort of surprise!

Klarafina said...

The Fresh Quilt is absolutely beautiful :)

Helen said...

I love your quilts they look fantastic . Wow that is going to be a great veggie garden.!!!!

Manuela said...

Both quilts look fantastic.
I like the colours.

Greetings, Manuela

Wendy said...

2 beautiful quilt tops! the Camilla one is just gorgeous

Susan said...

Both your quilts are lovely, very fresh and pretty. What a wonderful surprise to spring on your Dad. Great work on the garden beds, it will look really good when it's full of yummy vegies.

Anonymous said...

wow Nicky your quilts are all stunning you are so clever my friend,well done,i see lots of fresh homegrown vegs soon.xx

Vickie said...

It makes my heart happy to read of your family together again. =)

Leeanne said...

Both quilts are lovely. Gee your vege garden is huge! Enjoy your family time.

Fiona said...

such lovely fresh and pretty quilts... and lovely pattern to win... I love th elook of the garden coming along. Depending on what kind of pathway you want I have seen wood chips work well... what a lovely surprise for your Dad.... my brothers are all far away too so I know the feelign...
Hugz

Annie said...

Love the quilts. You always do such beautiful work. Congrats on your win. That Wagtime pattern is so funny!

Can't help on the garden issue, but I see great home grown veggies in your future.

Wonderful surprise for your Dad. Best way ever to cheer him up!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Your quilt tops are gorgeous...hard to go wrong with Bonnie & Camille their fabrics and so fresh and happy...the little dresdens are a fabulous addition to dress up the quilt top and Aneela Hoey, another fabulous fabric designer, I'm sure the little girl will love it...have fun with those musical cats and dogs, what a fabulous win, lucky you...enjoy your vegie patch, I've seed packets on the kitchen table waiting for me to get my act together, that hasn't happened yet and it is still apparently winter so they'd freeze to death anyway, wish Spring would come back from wherever it has wandered off to...have a great week :)

Bev C said...

Hello Nicky,

Such pretty quilts, love the Dresdens. The vegie garden is my favourite part of any garden, lots will be grown there. Enjoy the time with your family.
Happy days to you and your family.
Bev.

Aunty Bee said...

Lovely quilts Nicky. The garden looks good, the weather has helped get the vege growing. The wind this Spring has certainly been wild, I couldn't believe the number of trees down when going to Geraldine last week.Nice surprise for Dad, enjoy your family time.

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

Thats an amazing veggie patch!! I love your quilts too...the little dresden's are beautiful!
What a lovely surprise for your Dad ... hope you all have a wonderful visit. Xx Lea

Anonymous said...

The quilts are so lovely Nicky.
I'm sure you had fun putting them together. Great vegie garden....maybe try pinterest for path ideas?? A surprise for your Dad sounds lovely. Enjoy!!

Carol said...

Oh, how great that your brother was able to surprise your dad, Nicky--I'm sure seeing him was the best medicine of all.

Your quilts are so, so pretty--always love the colors you choose :)

Tatkis said...

Love both your quilts - absolutely wonderful colours!
Congratulations with the win :)

Hugs,
Tatyana

Related Posts with Thumbnails